Saturday, July 21, 2018

Field Trip


       We had a fun day at the Santa Fe Teaching Zoo College! I think Skyler has found her college! Today was Zoo Keeper Day so there were quite a few people there to talk to, ask questions and teach us stuff! I love these kind of field trips! We even got Rhyli out of her lazy mood and she came along!






       That is one tiny egg! Hard to believe anything living can come from that little thing. 



   
       That is one HUGE egg! I don't remember what momma made that egg but i don't want to meet up with her in a dark alley anytime soon!





       This is casting done from an orangutans hand. I cannot believe how huge it is. I mean I guess I have always known but to see it up close was the WOW factor! They had a lot of fun learning about how even animals from the wild can build a relationship with their keepers. Skyler was just in Heaven!




       We had fun hearing about birds too. It is so crazy to think there is a bird out there with a feather so big. We also saw porcupine quills and they were just scary. I could not imagine being stabbed with those things. 











       I have never seen a whole snake skin before. This was gross and interesting at the same time. 








  
       Skyler enjoyed seeing the tarantula skin that had been shed. I didn't realize they shed, somehow this makes them scarier! They even get new fangs. I am not fond of spiders, they belong outside in my opinion. 



       The girls got to learn more about poop! It was really neat to hear all the things they remembered from the museum day they went to a few months back. Hands on field trips are the best field trips!








       They had a neat station set up to look for parasites and such in animals blood. Skyler had a ton of fun diagnosing a tortoise!











      They taught her how to measure medications and draw them out of the bottles safely and everything. As far as she is concerned hand her a lab coat she is ready to be a vet!








       She found an animal she had never heard of before and got to build it a habitat! There are beach mice. Yes, beach mice in Fl. We had never heard of these cool little creatures before so she was amazed. She got to learn about all the different things that needed to go in the habitat for them. 














       The kids were able to make birthday toys for some of the animals so of course she had to make one!



  
       This kid is just like me she will touch anything! She will pet anything! This guy is pretty cool I love turtles and tortoises. The lizard however is just plain scary!









       We wrapped up our day at a back to school party with Fox and we all had ice cream! I still have to finish planning the new year and get everything situated and the new year is right around the corner!




No comments:

Post a Comment