Friday, February 16, 2018

Field Trip!!!! Civil War Days


        I was very surprised to find out that the town we live by had a museum! It is all about the Civil War this week for the Battle At Olustee. The museum was a must see and the festival was a fun day! 




      This nice lady told us all about clothes during that time period as well as the etiquette for those in mourning. I would not want to follow these rules or dress codes! 






       We saw hair jewelry! It was made from the hair of those who had passed. 





       The museum itself is a house that actually dates from that period. They have redone it as original as possible and the outcome is just beautiful! 




    
       The kids really enjoyed the uniforms. I really enjoyed the fact my son could tell me so much about the history of so many wars. 









      Skyler HATES baby dolls with a passion! They creep her out so this was as close as she would go. 






      
       I of course loved the kitchen! The apron not so much!




        I do want all of the cast iron cookware! 












       We had such fun seeing and playing with treasures of years past. 




       The battlefield reenactment was unreal! These guys went full on character! It is scary to think of the medical practices used not so long ago and how truly lucky we are today. I feel for these soldiers who went through so very much. 






















       Amputation was such a common treatment too. In the right place I bet more than half these men would not have lost limbs. Such a sad part of history. 

      As always the toys from different time periods caught all our attention as well! My kids knew what many of them were from all the years they have spent at Dudley Farms. 




















       Again the actors just blow me away! The way they just go full on conversation with these kids. Speaking to them in such a fun way the kids don't even realize they are learning. To them they are hearing stories. The man in this picture was so colorful and gifted it was an honor to meet him! 






       The kids even got to eat chicken cooked in cast iron over a fire. I bet it tasted better than the pizza I had spent a fortune on earlier too! Fox said it so it must be true! I also love how the kids are just given foods and they are so interested they don't have time to think, do I like it?  Kids can be so picky mine included so I love when people get them to try new things and leave their comfort zones!










       Skyler loved the washing tub!




       The poster of the town was a really cool thing to see. I know what it is now but to see what it was then is an eye opener to all the progress!



      
        They had quite a few vendors with handmade products and this guy was our favorite! He made puppets and they stole our hearts!









       LOOK AT THOSE BABIES!!!!! So adorable! 










      Yes OK I said no but..... we just had to adopt one! Look at her smile, she needed that baby whatever it is!




      What a very fun day with the kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment