Friday, March 29, 2019

Our Review Of Memoria Press First Form Latin

      My children have always had a curiosity about learning Latin. I think it comes from the Medieval time period being their favorite. The last language we had studied was Greek for my son so this time when we had the chance Skyler was all too happy to pick Latin! I was grateful to be given the chance to use the complete First Form Latin set by Memoria Press. I had a bit of Latin in Catholic School as a child but the majority of it is long forgotten. I knew using any Memoria Press program wouldn't be a problem for that though. Their programs are so complete that any parent can teach and learn alongside their child with no problem. 

Memoria Press






        First Form Latin is a beginners course. It is recommended for grades five and up so it was perfect for Skyler who is fourteen. This is a complete program as well and it includes all the things you will need for a successful year of learning Latin!


DVD lessons and a Pronunciation CD are my two absolute favorite parts of the program. I have never understood language programs that do not have these types of things. My children are sensory learners and they need to hear not read and sound out. They also enjoy hearing the language spoken by someone who knows what they are doing. 

For the student there is also a small student text, a work book, quizzes and test book as well as flash cards. For the teacher there is a teacher's manual and a teacher's key. Everything is written very clearly and easy to understand. 




       As far as scheduling goes my children work at their own pace. I feel that meeting a timetable for kids is not needed. They seem to learn better when I am not pushing at them in a do this do that on this day manner. Skyler enjoyed listening to the CD as well as watching the DVD. The DVD lessons do go along with the workbook but also have little extras on it so it again is a must have in my opinion. 








      The text book is great to have of course, but the DVD is a must have. Skyler also re watched lessons in the even she had any confusion and watched lessons ahead as well. She had fun taking the CD into her room and listening to it and saying things to her siblings that they didn't know! Memoria Press is a favorite for classical education. Their language programs are complete in every way and any parent can do this! This is also a great starting place for kids who have very little to no instruction with Latin in their past. 

       For the most part Skyler did this on her own. We did watch a lot of the DVD together and I went over her work book pages with the teacher's manual. The work book has about 5-6 pages with each lesson. She completed them usually with little issue and again at her own pace. She may do a few in one day then none the next. She did play around with the flash cards but preferred the CD to them. I think that just depends on the type of child you have. 

       Since I have used Memoria Press in the past I pretty much knew the set up and had no probelm jumping in. For someone who is just opening this program I can see where it might be overwhelming. My advice is just take a day or two go through the teacher's manual. Think of the type of child you have if you are setting up a schedule and then just jump in! Have fun with learning a new language and enjoy the time with your child. I have been doing this for so long now I gave up stressing about everything a while back! My son still talks about learning Greek alongside me and we have some laughs at those memories! 

        I have no problem recommending this for anyone who is interested in learning Latin or any of the other programs they offer for a Classical Education. I want learning anything to be fun and interesting for my children and this program meets our needs with no probelms. Memoria Press has many social media outlets as well so feel free to check them out!

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest
Youtube

       See what others are saying about this program as well as other Memoria Press products on the crew review!

Phonics, Poetry & Latin {Memoria Press Reviews}
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment