Friday, January 25, 2019

Peek At Our Week 16


       This week in Fox was suppose to be making an orange sponge cake. This week we realized it is very important that you read the entire recipe and watch what you are doing... It started off a bit rough when we realized we needed a special pan called a tube pan. We didn't have one and no way to go get one right then and there. We researched online and people stated they had used a loaf pan and it turned out fine. Great!! We had two of those so perfect! It would all work out, right...??? 






  
        I have taught Fox over and over how to separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and no matter what if I do not stand over him I catch him using his hand!! GRRRRRRR. Gross!!! I am in no way a chef but an actual chef did teach me how to do that so it gets frustrating when my child won't listen! I guess he will go his own way like everyone else though and hopefully do better in time!!

        We got to learn how to make orange zest as well. This was not something he enjoyed and never wants to do it again. We watched a few videos on it and he gave it his best shot! He also made freshly squeezed orange juice for the first time ever and now wants to juice everything in the fridge!







        So once we had all that ready we both misread and added everything all wonky because again I didn't follow my own rule of reading the entire recipe beforehand. We added stuff all wrong and mixed it all wrong and didn't wanna start over so we just finished up and tossed it in the oven while hoping for the best!




        Needless to say what we got was not sponge cake, at all. It was very thick and dry but it did taste like oranges! My youngest kiddo loved it and ate almost all of it so there was a silver lining that it was not a complete waste! It was also a great learning experience and a good reminder of why we read carefully and follow directions. 




       I am not counting that lesson as a bad day because again he did learn new things and was reminded of important things and most important he had fun making a mess! Like Miss. Frizzle says, make mistakes and get messy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment